Friday, June 15, 2012

Rolo Cake Mix Cookies

Also titled...
The Great Cake Mix Cookie Disaster

We love these cookies at my house, and since we were having guest over, I thought I would make a batch. I ran into a problem when I was following my original recipe, which I had shared with several friends. 

Now it has been a while since I made these cookies. I followed the recipe but when I got to the point where I add the Rolo and roll them into nice little balls, it was more or less like sticking my hands into glue. I think it may have been because I used the Super Moist cake mix. I really can't remember what kind I had used in the past, so I'm completely guessing here. 

Hence this blog post. I have added a step if you have run into this problem like I have. So please enjoy one of the most wonderful cookie recipes I've ever made. 
Note: This recipe is from John's grandma, but I've made some alterations, not to the ingredients but the preparations.


Cake Mix Cookies (Oh Yums!!)



Here's what you need: One box of cake mix (any kind but yellow is what is pictured), 
1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 eggs & Rolos (if you choose).
*Sorry for the pictures. They were taken with my phone after I had discovered the problem and solved it.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together cake mix, 1/2 cup of oil, and 2 eggs. 
**Here is where I started to wonder if there was a problem. If your mixture is too sticky to roll into a ball without getting covered in batter, refrigerate for a couple of hours. There are a lot of recipes that I end up skipping this step on, but added it here because I would have lost half of the batter on my hands. 


Unwrap the Rolos and smash them with a sturdy plastic cup (or really anything flat). I used to do this in my hands until they nearly left bruises on my palms. I've found that by flattening the Rolos they melt better and the cookies don't look like they have little chocolate tumors.



Roll about a tablespoon of dough into a ball. I use a cookie scoop anytime I make cookies that way they are all the same size. If you're adding Rolos, this is where I just smooth it in there and wrap the cookie dough around it. Then place on a cookie sheet.

Here is another very important note. I don't grease my cookie sheets. I line them with parchment paper. The first time I made these cookies I did not use the parchment paper and the better part of the Rolo stuck to the cookie sheet leaving nice gaping holes in the bottom of my cookies. The pieces of caramel that did not stick were hard as a rock.


Bake for 11 minutes at 350. Eating one of these while it's still warm is oh so good. 

Since my time in the kitchen is limited and most of the time its just the two of us, I've been doing cookies in small batches. I refrigerate the rest of the dough for a couple of days later. That way we're not eating them all at once, and they're always enjoyed warm.


Rolo Cake Mix Cookies 
Ingredients:
Cake Mix (any kind)
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
2 eggs
Rolos (optional)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix together cake mix, oil and egg. Chill a couple of hours if dough is sticky.
Unwrap and smash Rolos 
Roll cookies into ball (add Rolos if you want to experience pure delight)
Drop onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. 
Bake for 11 minutes

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment